Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Grape Harvest is All Sewn Up


I have a very productive grape vine. It's a ruby red seedless vine and the fruit from it is delicious.

It's so delicious that all the birds, racoons, possums, and other assorted vermin line up to strip it just before the fruit is ripe.



Earlier in the season when the plant was at the peak of dormancy, I put some wildlife netting on the back of it and draped the rest over the wall.

I let the fruit go as long as I thought it could before the animals would get to it and now it's time to finish the job.

Bringing the rest of the netting over the top, I match up the sides.



I take some twine and tie it around a screw. A nail with a thick head would would just as well, maybe even better.  This I use like needle and thread to stitch the two sides together.



A half-an-hour later, I've sewn the plant shut inside, like sewing up a big pillow case.



Now I've got my critter barrier in, let's just let those grapes ripen.



Darryl
Copyright 2013 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Is it working Darryl, or have some of the varmints managed to sneak through your defences to scoff your lovely grapes ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, it's working a bit. Too early to tell completely. Yesterday, I had to rescue a towee that got inside but when that happens, it points out a hole a missed sealing and I can repair it before the fruit ripens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting! Do you think that it would hinder deer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, we don't get deer in the backyard (knock on wood) so it's never been put to the test.

    ReplyDelete