Thursday, June 13, 2013

Recipes for a Cheapskate: Smoked Tri Tip


So the Cheapskate got a new smoker for his birthday. Time to break it in.


To keep this with our gardening theme, I picked some zucchini and the first two ears of corn for the season to throw in with the roast.

INGREDIENTS
4-5 Pound trip tip roast, USDA Choice or better
Pineapple juice
Lemon Juice
Rub (here's a recipe)

Cooking is simple but time consuming.



First, is the marinade. I cover the roast in pineapple juice with another cup of lemon juice thrown in. Then, I let sit in the refrigerator overnight. It's important to get a good piece of meat with good marbling. This one is USDA Prime but Choice would be good too.



Once the marinade is done, I coat with a rub that my wife makes. I put a semi-circle of charcoal and wet wood (mesquite in this case) in the bottom of the smoker.  I'll light only one end so it will slowly burn in a circle like a fuse.



I let smoke for about 4 hours, monitoring the meat temp with a probe thermometer.  When done, I slice and serve with the corn and zucchini, as pictured at the top.


 


Darryl
Copyright 2013 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment