Thursday, September 5, 2013

Avoiding the Labor on Labor Day


We had triple digit temperatures and high humidity this weekend in L.A. so I was mostly trying not to get heatstroke.



Gardening chores were mostly of the mundane and easy variety like fertilizing and some light weeding. Since the front lawn is mostly a scorched brown, I was able to get away with weed whacking the few growing green spots on it, saving me from mowing for another couple of weeks. That will be this fall's number one project...aerating the lawn and overseeding with a heat and drought resistant mix.

I did have a chance to look around to see what I could harvest and anything else that needed attention. Pulling back the prickly canes of our dragonfruit showed a couple of beauties ripening against the wall (above). There's also a couple of greener fruit on the front of the plant.



I noticed something has been chewing on my newly sprouted zucchini plant, so I put a few more seeds in the soil and covered with a critter cage.



The spurge is always surging so I spent some time yanking it out too.



Bell peppers are almost ready to pick. These might be on the menu next weekend and I'm hoping to get a couple more harvests before they're done for the year too.



The sweet onions just won't stay good in the ground anymore, so I harvested the last of it too. The onions have been a very delicious addition to our summer menus.

Lastly, the garlic chives are blooming in our herb corner. Trying to decide whether I should let them propagate or cut off the flowers. They're delicious but the get fairly weedy.




Darryl
Copyright 2013 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. It is a good time of year as there is not really a lot to do ! Most of the weeds are hidden by plants, and it is not time to start cutting back yet ! Light pottering is the best way to spend your time in the garden ... sustained by a cold beer or two perhaps ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more amenable to some light beering and maybe pulling a weed or two...

      Delete