Thursday, February 11, 2016

D-DAY: The Journey of Thousand Miles Starts with Ten Thousand Steps


I kind of look at diabetes management as a triangle. Sort of like the fire triangle where you need three sides...heat, oxygen, and fuel.


For diabetes, I see it as food, exercise/weight loss, and monitoring.  I've talked about food and monitoring in the last couple of posts, today it's exercise.


I go to the gym twice a week for weight training. My doctor has told me to ease back on that and replace it with a more aerobic exercise. If you follow me on Facebook, you'll know that my biggest form of aerobic exercise is walking.


My wife's a runner.  She loves it. Me? Not so much but I do like walking.  I've been walking daily for a few years now.


At first my minimum walk was a mile a day, which could be accomplished by doing a creative lap of the office complex where I work. Didn't seem like enough, so I started branching out.


Now, I do the 10,000 step regimen where I try to make sure I do a minimum of 10,000 steps a day, which works out to about 3.5 miles. 


One problem is that I get bored easily with exercise and I need some motivation.  Each day, I like to strike out from my office in a different direction.  For the motivation part, I like to take pictures as I go along and post them to my Facebook.


There's not much more to it, just walking and shooting.  I can tell it's helped. I feel healthier and I've lost 25 pounds in a year.


In the meantime, I've been assembling quite a portfolio of life in downtown Los Angeles, as you can see by some of the examples in this post.

Darryl
Copyright 2016 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment