Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Tuesdays with Letty: Osuna's Mexican Grill, Glendora, California


Back before Christmas, my doctor ordered me to take a Diabetes management class. It was a four-week regimen (cut down to 3 because the nurse instructor wanted to skip Christmas week) at our health plan's Glendora office.

Letty and Tim wanted to come with me (the 2 hours on Tuesday nights cured them of that and the last two classes I attended solo) so we went a little early so we could grab a bite to eat first.

The office is located in a small shopping center where the main tenant, Fresh and Easy Market, went under and the rest of the shops, if not empty, struggle to hold on.  Across the parking lot from the class were a couple of restaurants...Subway (not a favorite) and Osuna's.

We gave them a shot and were rewarded with delicious food that only raised my blood sugar by 40 points.

Fast forward to a couple of months later and my wife wants to pick up some items at Costco so I tell her we can do that on our Tuesday night out. On the way we're trying to decide where to eat first.  Driving along the 210 freeway, mentally mapping out what restaurants are at which exits, I remember that night at Osuna's at the Grand Avenue exit and say "why not there?"

Why not indeed? 

We have the place to ourselves, just the owner, the cook, and the owner's young son for company. When the boy comes up and asks us if we'd like to buy some cookies, I ask if he's selling them for school.

"I'm selling them for money!"

A young entreprenuer in the making.



It's an Ensenada themed place and since that Baja city is known for it's fish tacos, that's what Letty gets, along with a carne asada sope.  I opt for the Taco Tuesday special of two al pastor tacos along with a sope of my own.  They're all good and delicious, maybe an 8 out of 10 compared to the best we've had.



A solid place for a nice, casual dinner.

Osuna's is at 1311 S. Grand Avenue in Glendora, about two blocks south of the 210 freeway.

Darryl
Copyright 2016 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment