Friday, April 1, 2016

DINNER: Smoked Pork Ribs


I was looking in our freezer for something to cook this weekend and found a rack of ribs.

Let's give it a try.

While I have a smoker, it works much better on large volumes of meat. I've been wanting to try a small scale cook on my Weber kettle grill.


This starts a day before you cook, put the ribs in a sealable bowl.  I cut this rack in two to fit in the bowl. Fill with pineapple juice, fortified with two tablespoons of kosher salt. This will make a nice, marinating brine. Seal up and put in the refrigerator overnight.

Take 4 cups of wood chips (we're using mesquite), put in a bucket, fill with water, and let soak overnight.


The next day, drain off the brine, sprinkle some sale and pepper on the ribs, and cover with a nice rub. Massage it in with your fingers on both sides.

On the grill, I'm using a 'slow fuse' method of burning the coals.  I put a broken ring of charcoal around the edge of the grill, drain the water off of the wood chips, sprinkle them on top of the briquettes, then light just one end.  This will let the coals burn slow, steady, and at a low temperature.


The ribs go in the middle for indirect heat.  Cover and let cook. 


This slab took four hours to be done.

Darryl
Copyright 2016 - Darryl Musick 
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment