Wednesday, April 27, 2016

D-Day - Living with Type II: The Sweet Spot


I'm lucky in one way, I don't really have a sweet tooth. 

It's not that I don't like sweets, I do. I enjoy a good Milky Way bar, had some real good ice cream not too long ago, cheesecake with a good raspberry topping sounds good to me, and I love Jelly Bellies. But it's just not something I crave.



My wife and son seem to live for their desserts while I can go quite awhile without them.

Still, when you have to watch your sugar, things get a little amplified.  I can't just take a swing down to the snack bar and grab a bag of Sugar Babies when the hunger appears or take a simple snag out of the donut box one of my attorneys just brought in.

Once in awhile, though, I do like to have an indulgence and I've found two times I can give in.

First, and this has been very rare since my diagnosis, when my blood sugar takes a precipitous drop. For example, a month or so ago, my blood dropped down quickly from the 120's down to the 80's after a protein-heavy meal.  



That's the sign to grab a few Jelly Bellies...purely for the quick response back into the zone, mind you. A sweet, tasty response at that.

Second, I've noticed on my blood profiles and regular testing that my glucose levels drop the most in the afternoon between lunch and dinner. Frequently getting down to the low 100's or even 90's.

This is my sweet spot.  Not that I really want a whole lot but if I do get a craving, I plan that candy or dessert indulgence for my after lunch let down.

Another reason to remember that the diagnosis is not a death sentence or the end of the fun.

Darryl
Copyright 2016 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment