Monday, April 21, 2014

Tabling the Spring Project


Not every project in our yard has to do with plants.


 


It wasn't too long ago that my wife happened by a yard sale on her Sunday morning walk.



She picked up this table, which has a pressed-board insert, for five dollars. We used it for awhile on our patio when she started to complain that it was getting weathered.  I had an idea.




I sanded all the old lacquer and varnish off the wood and made it smooth.  I tried to stain it but the water spots were too deep.




Instead, we painted it blue. Initially, I put a coat of polyurethane on it to weather proof it but it left a brownish-colored hue to it.




My wife went to the paint store, where they told her to use a high-gloss exterior paint instead.




I got my friend and neighbor, Scott Connelly, on board. Scott is a mosaic artist and I commissioned him to make an insert for the table.  Here it is, insert in place (and at the top of this post), making it's debut as a cocktail table on our patio.



The scene Scott created for us is representing the view from our backyard. Here is the actual view with our plumeria in bloom, which Scott used to create the artwork. He added western bluebirds, my wife's favorite local species, to the picture.  Three of them...one for me, one for my wife, and one for our son.


Now, it's time to test it out.




Works perfectly!


Scott Connelly can be reached via Facebook at Cross Centered Mosaics. They're beautiful and quite reasonable.




Darryl
Copyright 2014 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment