Wednesday, March 13, 2019

ADVENTURES CLOSE TO HOME: Giving Thanks With Man's Best Friends


Throughout our time as a family we the Musicks' have not had the experience of having a family pet to call our own for the most part. For the first few years of my life my grandparents on my dad's side of the family had a Dachshund dog or wiener dog named Bill. Bill used to be my dad's dog until he decided to move out of the house and start a family of his own. After that happened Bill stayed with my grandparents for a few more years during which I would get to see her every time I went to their house for a visit each week until she died.

There was also the period of time that my parents had a pet cat named Howard. After a while though, Howard ran away from home and my dad found him some time later in the street after it looked like he had been run over by a car and killed. That wasn't the end of our Howard story though as some time after it appeared that we had found him lying in the middle of the street after being run over, a cat that looked just like Howard appeared at our door after which my dad proceeded to give him some food. After eating the food however, this cat that looked like Howard apparently left our house and went on his merry way to somewhere else. To this day my dad never seen him again nor does he know for sure if that cat was just another cat that looked like Howard or if, in an even stranger situation, the ghost of Howard decided to pay one last visit.

Until fairly recently, some of the other experiences that anyone in our family has had with a family pet consisted of a couple of cats that my grandmother on my mom's side of the family had that were named Sylvester and Larry as well as another dog that my uncle and his girlfriend had that was named Timmy.


As time has gone on, the sad thing is that each one of the pets that are mentioned above are no longer with us. The good thing for us though right now is that, as of last year, my uncle Amaury decided to get a new pet for both him and my grandmother Coya to have at their house. That pet would turn out to be a Jack Russell Terrier dog whom they named Cash. Ever since Cash became a part of our family my parents and I have spent more than our fair share of time getting to know Cash while dog sitting with him whenever my uncle Amaury travels to Mexico to see his family.

The times that we have spent with Cash so far have had such an impact on us that according to my mom Letty, it has totally changed the way that she looks at dogs now!  Until we met Cash my mom apparently had no real interest in viewing dogs as pets and as potential members of the family. Her only experience with pets before then were with cats and Bill, my dad's dog from many years ago. In the time that we have gotten to know Cash my mom has become hooked.

Ever since the first time that we met Cash we have had many opportunities to watch him over at our house whenever my uncle has to go out of town. One of those instances came fairly recently when we watched and took care of him during the Thanksgiving holiday last year.

During last year's Thanksgiving holiday festivities, Cash spent his free time by going on walks with us on the trail outside behind our house as well as chasing and or barking at lizards and other wild creatures that he may or may not have seen in our backyard. He also came along with us when we went to have Thanksgiving lunch/dinner over at my aunt and uncle's house.


While there he got to spend time and play with a couple of other four legged friends. Their names are Layla and Hammy. My dad even took some time to play a couple rounds of tug of war with Layla.


After we wrapped up the Thanksgiving festivities we spent the rest of the night back at our house where Cash enjoyed some quality lap dog time with us. When it was all said and done, the adventures we had over a five day span with a few of man's best friends had to come to an end unfortunately Even though we had to say goodbye at some point, it's nice to know that there will always be a next time for more dog friendly adventures in the future.

Tim Musick
Copyright 2019
All Rights Reserved.

   

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your life and thoughts. I always look forward to your blog.

    ReplyDelete