Wednesday, March 16, 2016

D-Day: Sounds Scary But It Can Be a Blessing


The big news this week is that, according to a UCLA study, nearly half of Californians are either prediabetic or have undiagnosed diabetes.  Sounds scary and, if you ignore your own probability, it is.

I never really thought about it until I was diagnosed but, I have to say, it's been more of a blessing than a curse for me. Think about it...the biggest prescription to early type 2 diabetes or prediabetes is to eat.

You just have to eat with a purpose, a passion, and reason.

With constant testing, you quickly learn exactly what you can eat (a lot more than you think), how often, and what you need to limit or avoid.



I've learned that three foods have the biggest effect on my blood sugar...regular pasta, white rice, and flour tortillas.  I've also learned how to eat around them...whole wheat pasta, brown rice (or none at all since I don't really care for it anyway), and smaller or corn tortillas.

With that in mind, I'll start sharing some of the meals that have had little or no effect on my sugar...unless it's to lower it.

Steak and eggs...had this dish at the Bull Pen in Redondo Beach, California, which also came with sourdough toast and hash browns. I only ate half of the hash browns but finished everything else. Raised my glucose 20 points.



The prime rib dinner at the Bull Pen only raised it 40 points.



Our lasagna recipe, using whole wheat pasta raised my blood sugar 20 points, as opposed to the over 90 points a regular pasta would.



My wife made some beef stew in the crock pot the other day. Came out fantastic and the effect on the glucose was neutral.

So there's a few dishes that are delicious and great for a diabetic like me.  This weekend, I'll have a couple of dishes that actually lowered my glucose level...one by a lot!

Do you have any diabetic friendly dishes you want to share?

Darryl
Copyright 2016 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment