Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Cocktail Hour - Strange Brew, Part 1


Once in awhile, I like to really get into creating something to drink. I don't mean just trying to invent a new cocktail, although that is a lot of fun. I mean creating something from scratch, like a moonshiner.

Watch the Video!

  

No White Lightning for me, though.  This is a little more tame.  

Today, I'm making beer. This is the third batch I've ever made and I want to expand my horizon a little.  I've made a basic Pilsner and a Honey Ale in the past. Today, I'm going with a Belgian Dubbel Ale.



With a kit from Williams Brewing, a couple of five gallon tubs, and a few accessories, I'm ready to go.



First, boil the grain syrup from the kit and a pack of brewing sugar in 3 gallons of water for an hour. Add hops five minutes before the hour is up.



Once the mixture has cooled to room temperature, pour it into the fermenting tank. Add yeast, and let it ferment for a couple of weeks when we'll come back for bottling.


That's all a very simplistic explanation of the process that's covered in a bit more detail in the video above, which takes a 2 -hour process and compresses it to 5 minutes...take a look to see how we got the ball rolling on this batch.

See you in a couple of weeks for the conclusion to this report.  Cheers!

Darryl
Copyright 2012 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment