Thursday, May 12, 2016

D-Day - Living With Type II: Eating Whatever I Want



It is true, even with Type II diabetes, I can eat whatever I want. The caveat is I can't eat it whenever I want or have as much as I want.


The thing with this disease is that you need to closely monitor it. You're trying to keep an even keel, staying withing the optimum range of blood glucose levels.


Since I'm a big fan of protein, that's not too much of a problem for me. In fact, sometimes my meal is a little too protein heavy and I need to munch a handful of candy to get back into range when my numbers get too low.




While that has not been a problem, probably the hardest thing I've had to learn is to not eat between my scheduled meals. That means eat a reasonable breakfast then nothing till lunch. Another balanced meal in the middle of the day, then nothing til dinner.  A couple hours after dinner, I allow myself a small snack.


That's it.  Nothing more.  No Girl Scout cookies from the secretary next door.  No tootsie rolls from the dish in my attorney's office. Ixnay on the oreos my credit union likes to have out on a platter.




Once in awhile, though, I can break out of that routine.  If I haven't had dessert for awhile, I might allow myself a slice of cheesecake after dinner, especially if it's a protein rich meal that I know will not affect my glucose level too much. A slice of cake on my birthday or maybe a cinammon roll once every couple of months to get my Sunday morning going or a Milky Way from the gas station to keep me awake on a very long drive.


The key, of course, is keeping an eye on how it effects me. As long as my numbers are consistently good, a rare spike in the glucose for a treat will not harm me.  I just have to remember, if I'm going to cash in some chips for that rare treat, make sure it's something that's really worth it.


(DISCLAIMER: This series about Type II is not meant to apply to everyone. This is what works for me, you need to consult with your own medical professionals to find out what will work for you.  My goal here is to simply give you hope that once you're diagnosed, life as you know it does not have to end...you can still enjoy life and the treats it offers.)


Darryl
Copyright 2016 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment