Tuesday, January 26, 2016

D-Day: The Pasta Predicament


An ongoing look into life with diabetes...

White rice? No problem. Don't really care for what I consider a pretty tasteless filler food anyway. Brown rice does nicely when I absolutely have to have it.

Smaller flour tortillas work well as a substitute for larger ones for me but, so far, the hardest has been pasta.


Like many, I love pasta. Tortellini, ravioli, lasagna, spaghetti...it's all so good and makes an easy meal when you're short on time or ideas.

Unfortunately, everytime I have it, no matter how I balance it out with other fats or proteins, it spikes my blood sugar by about 90 points.


Last night, I had a lovely beef tendon noodle soup at one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. I even left half of the noodles in the bowl. Started dinner at a nice reading of 105. Two hours and ten minutes later, it's at 197. 

That's not good.

Looking up pasta substitutes for diabetics suggests whole wheat or fortified (with protein) pasta. I will need to try that.  Quinoa (can't stand it) and spaghetti squash (it's still not spaghetti) are also mentioned.

Ugh!

I've decided that the next bowl of soup I have, I'll ask them to put in more spinach and leave out the noodles to see if that helps.

For now, pasta has to go on the very rarely list.

Darryl
Copyright 2016 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment