Friday, February 28, 2014

Who Needs Oscar When You Have Tim?

Courtesy of Wikimedia
Googie Man under CC BY-SA 3.0 license

Tim pitches in for this Hollywood week with his picks for the best movie of 2013 ahead of this Sundays' Academy Awards broadcast...



Today I finally got to see the film Nebraska in my quest to see the best picture nominees for the 2014 Oscars. It was very good. I have now seen 7 out of the 9 films up for consideration As of right now, it is probably in the middle of the pack for me. If I were to rank them right now it would go like this:




1. Dallas Buyers Club-I cannot say enough good things about this movie! Top notch performances from Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto and Jennifer Garner. The story focuses on many social issues that are still prevalent in society today. 




2. 12 Years A Slave-Best film of the year so far. It serves as a reminder of a part of history we should never forget.




3. American Hustle-Comes in a close third. The more I think about this film the more I like it. Great acting performances all around.




4. Captain Phillips-Had the feel of Zero Dark Thirty from last year's awards. Very intense and entertaining. Well deserved nomination by newcomer Barkhad Abdi. On the other hand, Mr. Hanks is one of the biggest snubs in recent memory.




5. Nebraska-Great realistic film that shows what our world is like today. Very funny and entertaining. I could definitely relate to what the main characters were going through. It reminded me so much of the various places my family and I have traveled to. Great performances by Bruce Dern, Will Forte and June Squibb.




6. Her-Another very good film. The premise of a love story that involves a computer is definitely weird, but that's what director Spike Jonze is about with very quirky stories. He somehow makes it work. One final note: Joaquin Phoenix delivers his best performance of his career.




7. Gravity-This is the most disappointing of the nominees because I wanted to like this movie going in. The only thing it really has going for it is the 3-D and the visual effects. The plot can be very predictable and I didn't really feel a connection with the main characters. Having said all that, this is a movie that the Academy drools over which means a lot of Oscar gold.



Tim
Copyright 2014 - Tim Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment