Thursday, January 16, 2014

Winter's Burdens


One thing those of you who live on those frigid tundras up to the north or back east...you can skip a lot of gardening chores during the winter. 

Here in Southern California, gardening season may take a short break but it never really stops.



The roses in the front yard have decided they'll have one more hurrah before pruning time starts.  Since they look so happy, I'll start at the other end...the far side of the backyard...and work my way towards these, letting them be last on the pruning schedule.



I thought I'd taken a before picture of this Angel Face and Moonstone before pruning, but I guess I was mistaken.  You can see more about how I prune in this pruning post from last year.



The plumerias, tender as they are, are shedding their leaves as the cooler evenings set in.  I'll sweep these up.



This one, in front of Mr. Lincoln, has gone completely bald for the winter.



Finally, I'm waiting for the grapevine to shed it's leaves completely, as it will when the temps drop into the 20's later this month, so I can give it a trim. The wife and I are currently debating exactly where those cuts will go.




Darryl
Copyright 2014 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding us that we get a reprieve from the chores. I guess that does give us a little more time to dream. The last Roses of the season in your garden sure are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete