Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Travel Tunes - Week 23

Trying to find a song to tie into this week's London theme was harder than I thought it would be.  The obvious choice, London Calling, is one that played in my head for weeks before we went on our first trip across the pond but doesn't really evoke the city for me now that I've been there.  The Pet Shop Boys' West End Girls is possible, but play it a couple of times and it soon gets tiring.  I love (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea by Elvis Costello but it might be a bit too obscure for some people.  One of my favorite movies set in London is John Landis' An American Werewolf in London, so Werewolves Of London by Warren Zevon was also considered.
Naw, when I think about it, the song that really evokes London for me is the Who's Who Are You which recounts a down and out drunks's attempt to get along without landing in jail with lyrics like "I woke up in a SoHo doorway, a policeman knew my name.  He said you can sleep at home tonight if you can get up and walk away."  Spend some late nights in London's pubs and you'll understand that line explicitly.

Anyway, here are Pete Townsend, Roger Daltrey and the late John Bonham and Keith Moon putting their lives in song for us here (warning - rough language)
 
-Enjoy

-Darryl

No comments:

Post a Comment