Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Sufferin' Succotash!


Well, I'm back. Sorry that I had to take a little hiatus there but there was a family medical emergency that consumed us and my blogging time was one of the things that had to take the hit.



I've got a three-day weekend due to Labor Day so I'm scrounging in the garden to see what I can find.



There's some sweet onions, ready to go (above) and some chiles.

I pick a few and head over to Fresh and Easy (that's Tesco to my UK friends). In the day-old bin, I find some good looking summer squash and some grated carrot at marked-down prices.

I add the last of our zucchini, some baby gold potatoes, chop up an onion with three of the chiles.



It all goes into a recycled plastic bread wrapper (yes, we try to recycle everything here).



Throw in a dash of olive oil, some salt and pepper, shake up in the bag to mix everything up and coat well. Then I empty it on a sheet of foil paper.



Grill it on indirect heat for half an hour and serve with our entree. In this case, a very tasty flat iron steak.

Entire meal is around $6, shared with two people, most of that coming from the meat.



Darryl
Copyright 2013 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment