Thursday, October 11, 2012

Recipes for a Cheapskate - Spicy Stuffed Bell Peppers


We're getting a bumper crop of bell peppers this year and they're growing  at a rate that we just have to harvest 5 or 6 a week...then we'll have another half dozen next week. Very tasty, too.




Here's one way I like to cook them. Think of this recipe as poppers that uses bell peppers instead of jalapenos.



First, bell peppers taste great but they need a little help with the spiciness (you may disagree...you can skip this step if you do). These chiles from the plant next to it will help with that component.



I cut up the peppers as fine as I can. I up the spiciness a little more with a couple of these dried chiles that our aunt grew.  I have some left over bacon that I cooked with some eggs yesterday, so I take half a slice of cooked bacon and dice it up.



Next, I take one pound of cream cheese, that I left soften up to room temperature, and fold in the chile and bacon bits.



I cut open the bell peppers, remove the seeds, and place a dollop of my cream cheese, bacon, and chile mixture. The cream cheese blend also makes a good glue to keep the pepper shut so make sure you coat the knife slit with it.



We're using this as a side dish for our smoked tri tip roast, which we are cooking very slowly at a low temperature, and we add the peppers about an hour before it's done.



Let smoke for an hour.



This is what it looks like when it's done.

All that's left to do is put in on a plate and enjoy!
(Note: If you'd like the tri tip roast recipe, you can find it on our Facebook page)

Darryl
Copyright 2012 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment