You kind of feel like you're getting away with something when your hotel feeds you for free. It's also nice just to slip downstairs to eat and come back up to the room to get ready for the day without having to leave the building. A one or two minute commute from the room to the lobby is so nice and timesaving too.
Some hotels barely make an effort with a few pieces of fruit, some pre-packaged pastries, and coffee but others with fill you full of good, hearty food to tackle the day.
We're going to reveal our favorites but first a few honorable mentions. These chains offer full breakfasts, good food, but don't quite go the extra mile to make it special.
Now on to the top-of-the-line hotels that really call to us at breakfast time.
5. Charter Inn and Suites is in the Central Valley town of Tulare, California. It's not a place too many go to for a weekend getaway but it is within driving distance to several places like the giant ice cream sundaes of Hanford or the giant trees in Sequoia National Park. It's also one of the best hotels along Highway 99 and includes a great, hot buffet in their cozy library room.
4. Red Lion Hotel, Bakersfield, California sits next door to the Crystal Palace, the country music club built by Buck Owens. You can still see the Buckaroos play there almost every Friday and Saturday night by just taking a few steps out the front door of this hotel. When you do, you'll walk by the onsite diner where you'll be able to order anything off of their menu in the morning for free. You might want to keep Sunday morning open, though. The Crystal Palace does a Sunday brunch that will blow your socks (and diet) off. That one's not free though.
3. Hotel Vivadi in Munich, Germany, is one of those hotels that have an arrangement with the next door restaurant. It's pretty common to find breakfast included in your room rate in Germany. Here, the Italian restaurant next door puts out a nice spread of eggs, meats, pastries and more served in a very nice dining room with an assist from the waiters there. I found myself wanting to wake up early to take advantage of this great breakfast.
2. Best Western Station Inn, South Lake Tahoe, California, is another with an onsite restaurant. Instead of a buffet, you are waited on and given a special menu with seven breakfast options like pancake combos, bacon 'n eggs, biscuits and gravy, and much more. Service is very good and afterward you still don't have to drive anywhere. The casinos, beach, and lift to Heavenly Valley are all only a block away.
1. The Buccaneer Hotel, Christiansted, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, is not an all inclusive resort but they do include breakfast at a spectacular 40 foot long buffet. You can also order anything cooked to order from the kitchen and enjoy it while chatting with the friendly staff on their open-air veranda overlooking their beach in the Caribbean. The best complimentary hotel breakfast we've ever had.
Copyright 2015 - Darryl Musick
All Rights Reserved